Jump to navigation Jump to search
Kent, Regatul Angliei
|Decedat|| (83 de ani) |
Teddington[*], Regatul Unit
|Cetățenie|| Regatul Marii Britanii|
|Alma Mater||Corpus Christi College[*]|
|Organizații||Societatea Regală din Londra|
Academia Franceză de Științe
|Premii||Membru al Societății Regale[*]|
Medalia Copley ()
Note[modificare | modificare sursă]
Bibliografie[modificare | modificare sursă]
- Hales, Stephen (1727) Vegetable Staticks, London: W. and J. Innys — from the Missouri Botanical Garden's library
- Hales, Stephen (1738). "Philosophical experiments: containing useful, and necessary instructions for such as undertake long voyages at sea. Shewing how sea-water may be made fresh and wholsome: and how fresh water may be preserv'd sweet. How biscuit, corn, &c. may be secured from the weevel, meggots, and other insects. And flesh preserv'd in hot climates, by salting animals whole. To which is added, an account of several experiments and observations on chalybeate or steel-waters ... which were read before the Royal-society, at several of their meetings", London: W. Innys and R. Manby
- Parascandola, John; Ihde, Aaron J. (). „History of the Pneumatic Trough”. Isis. 60 (3): 351–361. doi:10.1086/350503.
- Stephen Hales at the Galileo Project — details on Hales's life and work
- For a calendar of manuscript correspondence and writing of Stephen Hales see: D.G.C. Allan and R.E. Schofield, Stephen Hales. Scientist and philanthropist (London: Scolar Press, 1980), p. 178, and for his published writing see ibid p. 191
- For Hales’s work as parish priest of Teddington see: David G.C. Allan, Science, Philanthropy and Religion in 18th century Teddington: Stephen Hales DD, FRS, (1677–1761) (Twickenham: Borough of Twickenham Local History Society, 2004). This work contains reconstructions of the enlargement of St Mary’s Church, Hale’s copyhold parsonage house and a map of his drainage scheme (Map by Ken Howe).
- For a general assessment see: David G.C. Allan, Hales, Stephen (1677–1761) in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
- For the 2009 celebration of his life and work see The William Shipley Group for RSA History Newsletter no. 22 (Nov 2009)
- For Hales’s association with the Society of Arts see David G.C. Allan, ‘Founder of the Society of Arts’ group article in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online supplement, 2008)
- „Hales, Stephen”. Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. .
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (). „Hales, Stephen”. Encyclopædia Britannica. 12 (ed. 11th). Cambridge University Press.
Legături externe[modificare | modificare sursă]