Greșelile unei nopți
|Greșelile unei nopți|
|Titlu original||She Stoops to Conquer|
|Publicată de||F. Newbery|
|Prima reprezentație||15 martie 1773|
Covent Garden Theatre, Londra
Sumar[modificare | modificare sursă]
Kate Hardcastle, o tânără dintr-o familie bogată din provincie, este anunțată de tatăl ei de venirea lui Charles Marlow, fiul unuia dintre vechii lui prieteni. Domnul Hardcastle speră ca cei doi să se căsătorească.
Tony Lumpkin, fratele vitrg al lui Kate și vărul lui Constance, întâlnește cei doi străini la comes across the two strangers at the alehouse and, realising their identity, plays a practical joke by telling them that they are a long way from their destination and will have to stay overnight at an inn. The "inn" he directs them to is in fact the home of the Hardcastles. When they arrive, the Hardcastles, who have been expecting them, go out of their way to make them welcome. However, Marlow and Hastings, believing themselves in an inn, behave extremely disdainfully towards their hosts. Hardcastle bears their unwitting insults with forbearance, because of his friendship with the father.
Kate learns of her suitor's shyness from Constance and a servant tells her about Tony's trick. She decides to masquerade as a serving-maid (changing her accent and garb) in order to get to know him. Marlow falls in love with her and plans to elope with her but, because she appears of a lower class, acts in a somewhat bawdy manner around her. All misunderstandings are resolved by the end, thanks to an appearance by Sir Charles Marlow.
The main sub-plot is that of the secret romance between Constance and Hastings. Constance needs her jewels, an inheritance, that are guarded by Tony's mother, Mrs. Hardcastle; the latter wants Constance to marry her son to keep the jewels in the family. Tony despises the thought of marrying Constance—he prefers a barmaid at the alehouse—and so agrees to steal the jewels from his mother's safekeeping for Miss Neville, so she will then flee to France with Hastings.
The play concludes with Kate's plan succeeding, thus she and Marlow become engaged. Tony discovers he is of "age", despite his mother not telling him so, thus he receives the money he is entitled to. He refuses to marry Constance, who then is eligible to receive her jewels and to become engaged to Hastings, which she does.
Stil[modificare | modificare sursă]
Recepție[modificare | modificare sursă]
Adaptări[modificare | modificare sursă]
- She Stoops to Conquer, un film mut din 1910 cu Anna Rosemond.
- She Stoops to Conquer, un film mut din 1914 în regia lui George Loane Tucker cu Henry Ainley și Jane Gail.
- She Stoops to Conquer, un film mut din 1923 în regia lui Edwin Greenwood.
- She Stoops to Conquer, o adaptare televizată din 1939 adaptation for television starring Morris Harvey, Renee De Vaux and James Hayter
- She Stoops to Conquer, a 1971 BBC television production starring Tom Courtenay, Juliet Mills, Ralph Richardson, Thora Hird, Trevor Peacock and Brian Cox
- The Kissing Dance, un muzical în regia lui Howard Goodall și Charles Hart: 1998, for the National Youth Music Theatre of Britain
- She Stoops to Conquer, a 2003 video presentation recorded live on stage in Bath, Somerset, England
- She Stoops to Conquer, a 2008 television adaptation directed by Tony Britten and starring Tim Bell, Simon Butteriss, Judi Daykin and Mark Dexter
Referințe și note[modificare | modificare sursă]
Legături externe[modificare | modificare sursă]
- Greșelile unei nopți, adaptare pentru radio