|Acest articol este scris parțial sau integral în limba engleză.
Puteți contribui la Wikipedia prin traducerea lui sau chiar și a altora care v-ar putea interesa.
Părțile scrise în alte limbi pot fi șterse dacă în termen de 7 zile nu se înregistrează progrese notabile în procesul de traducere.
Pagina a fost modificată ultima oară de către Ionutzmovie (Contribuții • Jurnal) acum 5 luni.
|— Town —|
|Town & County of Nantucket, Massachusetts|
|- Total||272.6 km²|
|- Total||10,172 locuitori|
|- Densitate||82,2 loc./km²|
|Fus orar||Eastern (-5)|
|- Ora de vară (DST)||Eastern (-4)|
|Site web: www.nantucket-ma.gov|
Nantucket (pronunție AFI, |ˌ|n|æ|n|ˈ|t|ʌ|k|ɨ|t ) este o insulă situată la circa 48 de km sud de Cape Cod, statul Massachusetts, Statele Unite ale Americii. Împreună cu micile insule Tuckernuck și Muskeget, constituie atât târgul omonim (Nantucket, Massachusetts) cât și comitatul omonim, comitatul Nantucket, cu care coincide teritorial și administrativ formând o entitate consolidată comitat-localitate (conform originalului, consolidated city-county).
O parte a localității este desemnată ca un loc desemnat pentru recenzare, Nantucket CDP (CDP este acronimul pentru expresia din limba engleză census designated place). Zona Surfside de pe insula Nantucket este punctul cel mai sudic al statului Massachusetts.
Nantucket is a tourist destination and summer colony. The population of the island soars from about 10,000 to 50,000 during the summer months, due to tourists and summer residents. According to Forbes Magazine, in 2006, Nantucket had the highest median property value of any Massachusetts ZIP code.
The Nantucket Historic District, comprising all of Nantucket Island, was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 13, 1966. In doing so the National Park Service paid particular note to the settlements of Nantucket and Siasconset. The island features one of the highest concentrations of pre-Civil War structures in the United States. It also has the oldest operating windmill in the United States (since 1746). It was the setting for the hit NBC sitcom Wings.
- 1 Originea numelui
- 2 Istoric
- 3 Geologie și geografie
- 4 Climat
- 5 Demografie
- 6 Guvern
- 7 Educație
- 8 Artă și cultură
- 9 Transporturi
- 10 Dezastre
- 11 National Register of Historic Places
- 12 Rezidenți notabili
- 13 Vedeți și
- 14 Note
- 15 Bibliografie
- 16 Referințe
- 17 Legături externe
Originea numelui[modificare | modificare sursă]
Istoric[modificare | modificare sursă]
Începuturi[modificare | modificare sursă]
Istoria vânătoarelor de balene în Nantucket[modificare | modificare sursă]
Istorie târzie[modificare | modificare sursă]
Geologie și geografie[modificare | modificare sursă]
Coatue[modificare | modificare sursă]
Hummock Pond[modificare | modificare sursă]
Miacomet Pond[modificare | modificare sursă]
Popsquatchet Hills[modificare | modificare sursă]
Squam Swamp[modificare | modificare sursă]
Climat[modificare | modificare sursă]
|Date climatice pentru Nantucket|
|Maxima medie °F (°C)||38
|Minima medie °F (°C)||25
|Precipitații inches (mm)||3.61
|Sursă: The Weather Channel|
Demografie[modificare | modificare sursă]
|Evoluția numărului populației|
- There is also a census-designated place called Nantucket, with a 2000 population of 3,830, which is located within the Town of Nantucket.
Guvern[modificare | modificare sursă]
|2008||30.8% 1,863||67.3% 4,073|
|2004||35.6% 2,040||63.0% 3,608|
|2000||33.0% 1,624||58.3% 2,874|
|1996||29.4% 1,222||59.0% 2,453|
|1992||27.5% 1,158||48.3% 2,037|
|1988||39.4% 1,469||59.2% 2,209|
|1984||53.5% 1,697||45.9% 1,456|
|1980||40.5% 1,149||36.6% 1,040|
|1976||53.3% 1,399||42.5% 1,115|
|1972||59.6% 1,418||40.0% 952|
|1968||55.3% 991||41.5% 744|
|1964||32.8% 587||67.0% 1,197|
|1960||63.5% 1,219||36.4% 698|
|Voter Registration and Party Enrollment as of October 13, 2010|
|Party||Number of Voters||Percentage|
Educație[modificare | modificare sursă]
Artă și cultură[modificare | modificare sursă]
The island is well known as a center for both visual and performing arts.
Transporturi[modificare | modificare sursă]
Nantucket is served by Nantucket Memorial Airport, a three-runway airport on the south side of the island. The airport, whose three call letters are ACK, is one of the busiest in the Commonwealth and often logs more take-offs and landings on a summer day than Boston's Logan airport. This is due in part to the large number of private/corporate planes used by wealthy summer inhabitants, and in part to the 10-seat Cessna 402s used by several commercial air carriers to serve the island community. The airport is currentlyFormat:When undergoing an expansion.[necesită citare]
Dezastre[modificare | modificare sursă]
National Register of Historic Places[modificare | modificare sursă]
Rezidenți notabili[modificare | modificare sursă]
- Russell Baker, former New York Times columnist, had a summer home on the island.
- Bill Belichick, current head coach of the New England Patriots, owns several homes in 'Sconset.
- Peter Benchley, author of Jaws, Beast and other novels, lived on the island.
- A. J. Cronin, novelist, resided on the island.
- Bob Diamond, CEO of Barclays, owns a summer house near Brant Point.
- Bill Frist, physician, author and former United States Senator, has a home on the island.
- Lou Gerstner, former chairman and CEO of IBM, owns a house on the island.
- Charles Geschke, co-founder of Adobe Systems, spends summers on the island.
- Frank Gifford and Kathie Lee Gifford have a house on the island.
- Robert Greenhill, the investment banker and chairman of Greenhill & Co, has a home on the island
- David Halberstam, Pulitzer Prize winning journalist and historian, had a summer home on the island.
- James H. Cromartie, internationally renowned hard-edge realist and historical artist who resides year-round on the island.
- Kerry Hallam, artist of international reputation who released Nantucket Notables, a collection of watercolor sketches of Nantucket's residents, lives in a cottage off Bartlett Road.
- Dorothy Hamill, American figure skater, has a home on the island.
- John Kerry and his wife Teresa Heinz spend summers at their residence on Brant Point.
- Charles Herlinger, a multi-millionaire private equity investor and former CEO of Hitachi, owns a home on the island near Cliff Road
- Tommy Hilfiger, retail giant of the eponymous clothing label, owns a summer home on the island. The country house was featured in the MTV reality show Rich Girls, which starred his daughter Ally.
- Wayne Huizenga, billionaire entrepreneur and sports team owner, is a part-time resident.
- Judith Ivey, actress, has a home in the village of Siasconset.
- Seward Johnson, sculptor, has a summer residence on Brant Point.
- Frances Karttunen, academic linguist, historian and Mesoamericanist scholar, grew up and resides on the island
- Frank Lorenzo, former aviation executive, has a home on the north shore of the island.
- Rowland Hussey Macy, founder of Macy's, was born on the island and learned the retail business in a small shop on Main Street (which is marked by a plaque).
- Chris Matthews, political commentator and MSNBC anchor, has a home near Tom Nevers.
- Lucretia Coffin Mott was born in 1793 on Nantucket. Mott was an American Quaker minister, abolitionist, social reformer, and proponent of women's rights. She is credited as the first American "feminist" in the early 19th century but was, more accurately, the initiator of women's political advocacy.
- Maria Mitchell, native of Nantucket, first American female professional astronomer and a Vassar professor (of astronomy) is buried in Prospect Hill.
- Cyrus Peirce, first principal of Nantucket High School and later first president of what is now Framingham State College, married Nantucket native, Harriet Coffin. They are both buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery. Cyrus Peirce Middle School is named for him.
- Roger Penske, billionaire founder of Penske Racing, spends summers at his waterfront compound in Wauwinet.
- Nathaniel Philbrick, best selling author of In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex and The Mayflower.
- Steven M. Rales, billionaire chairman of Danaher Corporation, spends summers on the island.
- Fred Rogers, Mr. Rogers of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood (PBS television), lived in Madaket.
- Ned Rorem, Pulitzer Prize winning composer of classical music, owns a home on the island.
- David M. Rubenstein, billionaire co-founder of the Carlyle Group, spends summers at Abrams Point.
- Tim Russert, late host of NBC's Meet the Press, owned a home on the island.
- Richard Mellon Scaife, billionaire businessman and publisher, has a home near Wauwinet.
- Eric Schmidt, billionaire chairman of Google, and wife Wendy have a home on Cliff Road.
- John Shea, actor, has a home on the village of Siasconset
- Frank Stallone, actor/musician, is currently building a multi-million dollar estate in Surfside.
- Barry Sternlicht, chairman of Starwood Capital Group and founder of Starwood Hotels & Resorts, has a home near Eel Point.
- Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara have a home at Children's Beach.
- Louis Susman, U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom, has a home on the north shore of the island.
- Joseph Gardner Swift, a Nantucket native, was the first graduate of the United States Military Academy; he attained the rank of Brigadier General.
- Bruce Taylor, founder of Xcaliber International, one of the largest tobacco manufacturers in the U.S. owns a home on Polpis Road.
- Jack Welch, retired General Electric CEO, has an estate on the east side of the island near 'Sconset.
- Bob Wright, chairman of NBC Universal, and Suzanne Wright are founders of 'Autism Speaks' and have a home on Medouie Creek.
Vedeți și[modificare | modificare sursă]
- Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym
- There once was a man from Nantucket
- Brant Point Light
- Folgers Coffee
- List of Registered Historic Places in Nantucket County, Massachusetts
- Nantucket (CDP), Massachusetts
- Yesterday's Island (seasonal magazine featuring articles on island history, essays, natural history)
- Nantucket Reds
- Nantucket Sound
- Martha's Vineyard
- Maria Mitchell Association
- Mary Morrill
- Mayhew Folger
- Lucretia Mott
- Rowland Hussey Macy
- The Inquirer and Mirror (newspaper of record)
- Wampanoag people
- Charles F. Winslow
- Nantucket Sleighride
- Nantucket shipbuilding
- Nantucket Forests
- Nantucket Dreamland Foundation
- Nantucket Nectars
Note[modificare | modificare sursă]
- Bond, C. Lawrence, Native Names of New England Towns and Villages, privately published by C. Lawrence Bond, Topsfield, Massachusetts, 1991.
- Philbrick, Nathaniel, In The Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex, Penguin, NY, NY, 2000.
Bibliografie[modificare | modificare sursă]
- Macy, William Francis (1915). The story of old Nantucket; a brief history of the island and its people from its discovery down to the present day. Nantucket: The Inquirer and mirror press. http://books.google.com/?id=xCcSAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover
- Tower, W.S. (1907). A History of the American Whale Fishery. University of Philadelphia. http://books.google.com/?id=du4JAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover
Referințe[modificare | modificare sursă]
- ^ HugeDomains.com - Shop for over 350,000 Premium Domains
- ^ http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/biden_nantucket_holiday/2008/11/27/155858.html
- ^ Nantucket Historical Association
- ^ „Monthly Averages for Nantucket, MA” (Table). The Weather Channel. http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/USMA0271. Accesat la 18 mai 2012.
- ^ „Registration and Party Enrollment Statistics as of October 13, 2010” (PDF). Massachusetts Elections Division. http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/ele10/enrollment_count_regdt_10132010.pdf. Accesat la 14 martie 2010.
- ^ http://www.nantucketindependent.com/news/2007/0815/The_Arts/030.html
- ^ http://www.nantucketindependent.com/news/2007/0801/front_page/013.html
Legături externe[modificare | modificare sursă]
|La Wikivoyage găsiți un ghid turistic despre Nantucket|
- Nantucket Historical Association
- "Nantucket.net", the island's ISP and portal site
- "Nantucket Directory", searchable island telephone & internet directory
- Nantucket Visitor's Guide, Nantucket Visitor's Guide
- Town and County of Nantucket official site
- Nantucket Island Chamber of Commerce
- The Nantucket Independent, the weekly newspaper
- Nantucket Inquirer and Mirror, the local newspaper
- Fabrikant, Geraldine, "Old Nantucket Warily Meets the New", New York Times, June 5, 2005
- Yesterday's Island, a local magazine
- Listing for Nantucket County and for the Nantucket Historic District, in the National Register of Historic Places
- Nantucket County, Massachusetts Genealogy and History
- Map of cities and towns of Massachusetts
- Nantucket Historical Assoc. on Flickr
- 36 Hours in Natucket in the New York Times of July 18, 2010
- I Once Had a Chum from Nantucket by Drs. Ernest and Convalescence Bidet-Wellville on Neatorama
| Municipalități și comunități din
Comitatul Nantucket, Massachusetts
Reședința comitatului: Nantucket
|Locuri de recensământ ale
United States Census Bureau
|Alte localităţi (neîncorporate)|
|Atracții turistice /
Frumuseți ale naturii
‡ Aceste localități au porțiuni în comitatele înconjurătoare