|- Apă||0.6 km²|
|- Total||56.407 locuitori|
|Site: Site-ul oficial: http://www.reston.org/|
Reston este o localitate cu statutul administrativ de loc desemnat pentru recensământ din comitatul Fairfax, statul Virginia, Statele Unite ale Americii, în interiorul largei zone metropolitane create împrejurul capitalei federale, Washington, D.C.. Populația localității fusese de 58,404 locuitori, conform datelor culese în 2010, la cel de-al 23-lea recensământ național. , în ușoară creștere față de cei 56.407 locuitori înregistrați la data de 1 aprilie 2000, data oficială a culegerii datelor celui de-al 22-lea recensământ al Uniunii (2000 United States Census).
Fondată în anul 1964, ca o comunitate planificată, Reston-ul a pus arhitecții, care au conceput urbanismul localității, în postura de a "revoluționa" folosirea pământului, precum și designul, integrarea și funcționalitatea clădirilor industriale, comerciale și rezidențiale. 
- 1 Istoric
- 2 Principii urbanistice de bază
- 3 Activități culturale și educaționale
- 4 Economie
- 5 Transporturi
- 6 Geografie
- 7 Educație
- 8 Demografie
- 9 Governare
- 10 Mass media locală
- 11 Rezidenți notabili
- 12 Galerie de imagini
- 13 Vedeți și
- 14 Referințe
- 15 Legături externe
Principii urbanistice de bază[modificare]
Greenbelt, statul Maryland, este o comunitate similară, dezvoltată în anii 1930, ca o parte a experimentului New Deal din domeniul locuințelor, un alt exemplu de New Town. În chip similar, mișcarea urbanistică New Town cuprinde și realizatele Roosevelt Island, din New York City, respectiv localitatea Columbia din același stat Maryland.
Reston was the first post-war community in the U.S. to use clustered townhouse development, a strategy that allows for the preservation of open space along with higher density. Reston was also the first 20th-century private community in the U.S. to incorporate natural preservation in its planning (Greenbelt was a publicly supported community).
An important part of Reston's development is its five village centers and one town center. Each village center, all of which (save North Point) predate the Reston Town Center, was designed to be a half-mile walk from most homes and incorporate the daily retail and community service needs of residents. Denser developments, such as apartments and clustered town homes are clustered around each village center. The first village center built was the critically acclaimed Lake Anne (see below), followed by (in chronological order) Hunters Woods, Tall Oaks, South Lakes, and North Point.
Activități culturale și educaționale[modificare]
Muzică și teatru[modificare]
Parcuri și activitate recreativă[modificare]
Muzee și galerii[modificare]
Reston is served by the Reston Regional Library. The library contains over 215,000 volumes and houses an extensive collection on the history of Reston.
Also located in Reston is the United States Geological Survey Library. This federal research library is open to the public. Today the United State Geological Survey Library's users have access to over 3 million items: over 1.7 million books and journals, 700,000 maps, 370,000 microforms, 270,000 pamphlets, 260,000 black-and-white photographs, 60,000 color transparencies, 15,000 field record notebooks, and 250 videocassettes. Materials include USGS publications as well as those produced by state and foreign geological surveys, scientific societies, museums, academic institutions, and government scientific agencies. The libraries in Reston, Virginia and Menlo Park, California, are designated as official depositories for selected U.S. Government publications. The libraries in Reston and Menlo Park have been designated as official Federal Government Depositories providing public access to selected U.S. Government publications.
Reston is located at GR1(38.954577, −77.346357).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 17.4 square miles (45.0 km²), of which, 17.1 square miles (44.4 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km²) of it (1.21%) is water. Reston contains four artificial lakes: Lake Anne, Lake Audubon, Lake Newport, and Lake Thoreau. Another artificial lake, Lake Fairfax, is only partially on Reston property, but is technically Fairfax County park land.
|Datele climatice pentru Reston, VA|
|Maximele medii °F (°C)||42
|Minima medie °F (°C)||24
|Precipitații inches (mm)||2.68
|Sursă: The Weather Channel|
Școli primare și secundare[modificare]
As a part of Fairfax County, Reston is served by Fairfax County Public Schools and a number of private schools. Reston has one high school within its boundaries, South Lakes High School, which serves most of Reston. On the same lot as the high school is Reston's only junior high school, Langston Hughes Middle School. Students who live in the far northern part of Reston attend Herndon High School. Reston has a number of elementary schools including:
- Buzz Aldrin Elementary School
- Neil Armstrong Elementary School
- A. Scott Crossfield Elementary School
- Dogwood Elementary School
- Forest Edge Elementary School for Communication & Technology
- Fox Mill Elementary School
- Hunters Woods Elementary School for the Arts and Sciences
- Lake Anne Elementary School
- Sunrise Valley Elementary School
- Terraset Elementary School
There are several private schools located in Reston, including:
- Children's House Montessori School of Reston
- Academy of Christian Education (elementary)
- Edlin (elementary and middle school)
- Reston Montessori School
- United Christian Parish Preschool
- Lake Anne Nursery and Kindergarten (LANK)
Colegii universitare și universități[modificare]
Reston also has several higher education resources, including a satellite campus of NVCC (Northern Virginia Community College), the University of Phoenix – Northern Virginia campus, and Marymount University – Reston Center.
|Populația în timp|
The home ownership rate (owner-occupied housing units to total units) was 66.7%.
Mass media locală[modificare]
- Donna Andrews, mystery fiction writer.
- Randy Babbitt, former Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration
- Big Pooh, MC in the Hip Hop group Little Brother (attended South Lakes High School)
- Roy Buchanan, guitarist and blues musician.
- Matt Duke (born 1985), singer-songwriter/musician who is currently signed to the label Rykodisc and has released multiple albums. Born in Reston.
- Gordon P. Eaton, geologist
- Jeremy Gelbwaks, child actor from The Partridge Family
- T. Keith Glennan, first Administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Michael Hersch, composer and pianist
- Grant Hill, NBA player for the Phoenix Suns (attended South Lakes High School).
- Wyatt Toregas, MLB Baseball player. Cleveland Indians and Pittsburgh Pirates.
- Eddie Royal, NFL wide receiver for the San Diego Chargers (played Football for one season at South Lakes High School(.
- Alan Webb, professional track athlete and holder of the American record in the mile run, attended South Lakes High School.
- Michael Shabaz, Professional tennis player.
- Lubomir Kavalek, chess grandmaster
- Arnold Kramish, nuclear physicist who worked on the Manhattan Project
- Benjamin Levin, better known as Benny Blanco, songwriter and producer who has worked with artists such as Katy Perry, Britney Spears, and 3OH!3.
- George Taylor Morris, radio host who popularized the "Dark Side of the Rainbow" phenomenon.
- Paul Mulvey, former professional hockey player
- Steve Niles (born 1965 in Jackson Township, New Jersey), comic book author, screenwriter and punk rock musician who grew up in Reston, Virginia.
- Kevin Payne, President of D.C. United
- Kenneth R. Plum (D), Virginia House of Delegates Democratic Caucus leader, represents Reston.
- Michael Pocalyko, businessman, entrepreneur and author
- Robert E. Simon, the founder of Reston, has been living around the Lake Anne area since 1993.
- Eddie Timanus (born 1968 in St. Joseph, Missouri), Jeopardy! champion and USA Today sportswriter who grew up in Reston, Virginia
- Lynd Ward, artist
- Howard Wolpe, former member of the United State House of Representatives
- Lloyd R. Woodson, arrested in 2010 with military-grade illegal weapons he intended to use in a violent crime, and a detailed map of the Fort Drum military installation.
- Milt Bearden, retired senior Central Intelligence Agency officer, author (The Black Tulip, The Main Enemy), CBS news consultant, frequent contributor to the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times and The Wall Street Journal. Collaborated with Robert De Niro on Universal Studios’ Meet the Parents and The Good Shepherd (film), and with director Mike Nichols on the film Charlie Wilson's War.
Galerie de imagini[modificare]
- ^ „Reston By The Numbers”. Reston Patch. 18 aprilie 2013. http://reston.patch.com/articles/reston-by-the-numbers.
- ^ (PDF) Reston Master Plan. Reston Museum. 1 mai 1962. http://www.restonmuseum.org/main_/rht_masterPlan.htm. Accesat la 18 aprilie 2013.
- ^ „MODEL RESIDENTIAL CLUSTER DEVELOPMENT ORDINANCE” (PDF). Arhivat din original la 27 septembrie 2007. http://web.archive.org/web/20070927000825/http://www.planning.org/smartgrowthcodes/pdf/section47.pdf. Accesat la 12 octombrie 2007.
- ^ Eroare la citare: Etichetă
<ref>invalidă; niciun text nu a fost furnizat pentru ref-urile numite
- ^ Reston Regional Library – FCPL
- ^ „Monthly Averages for Reston, VA”. The Weather Channel. http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/USVA0645. Accesat la 23 martie 2012.
- ^ „South Lakes High School attendance map”. http://www.fcps.edu/images/boundarymaps/southlakeshs.pdf. Accesat la 9 mai 2009.
- ^ „Herndon High School attendance map”. http://www.fcps.edu/images/boundarymaps/herndonhs.pdf. Accesat la 9 mai 2009.
- ^ Edlin School
- ^ "Library Branches." Fairfax County Public Library. Retrieved on October 21, 2009.
- ^ "Reston CDP, Virginia." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on October 21, 2009.
- ^ Associated Press (17 august 1988). „Roy Buchanan, 48, a Guitarist”. New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/1988/08/17/obituaries/roy-buchanan-48-a-guitarist.html. Accesat la 30 aprilie 2009.
- ^ Evan Amos (28 aprilie 2011). „Evan Amos interview with Matt Duke”. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Evan-Amos/Interviews/MattDuke. Accesat la 4 mai 2011.
- ^ Koubaroulis, BJ (15 august 2006). „Grant Hill, South Lakes Basketball”. Connection Newspapers. http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=308787&paper=66&cat=105. Accesat la 22 martie 2010.
- ^ „Eddie Royal”. Denver Broncos. National Football League. http://www.nfl.com/players/eddieroyal/profile?id=ROY461040. Accesat la 1 martie 2010.
- ^ Thurber, Derek (17 aprilie 2000). „South Lakes's Webb Near Four Minute Mile”. The Washington Post. http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-517610.html. Accesat la 12 martie 2010.
- ^ Tiffany N. D'Emidio (23 iulie 2008). „A wild and crazy ride with producer Benny Blanco”. Eclipse. Entertainment News Network. http://eclipsemagazine.com/Music/6131/. Accesat la 1 noiembrie 2008.
- ^ Holley, Joe. "George Taylor Morris, 62: Radio Host Played Classic Rock", The Washington Post, August 3, 2009. Retrieved August 10, 2009.
- ^ Jazelle Hunt (18 octombrie 2010). „Washingtonian article including 30 Days of Night in their monster movie recommendations”. http://www.washingtonian.com/PhotoGallery/185/2900.html.
- ^ Delegate Kenneth R. Plum
- ^ „Ex-Va. man indicted in New Jersey weapons case”. Associated Press. 26 februarie 2010. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jqq3ZWHDtMSkvQcO6d1dm1jzggWQD9E3U7P81. Accesat la 22 martie 2010.
- Reston Association – The official association website
- Reston Museum – The official website of the Reston Historic Trust and its Reston Museum.
- Reston Planned Community Archives – online images and articles from the Special Collections and Archives of George Mason University.
- Beyond DC Reston gallery
- Wolf Von Eckardt, The Row House Revival is Going to Town–Not to Mention Country; Washington Post; July 24, 1966
- „Reston, Virginia” la Open Directory Project
| Municipalități și comunități din
Comitatul Fairfax, Virginia
Reședința comitatului: Fairfax
|Locuri desemnate de
United States Census Bureau
Annandale | Bailey's Crossroads | Belle Haven | Burke | Centreville | Chantilly | Colchester | Dranesville | Dunn Loring | Fairfax Station | Fort Belvoir | Fort Hunt | Franconia | Great Falls | Groveton | Huntington | Hybla Valley | Idylwood | Jefferson | Jermantown | Kingstowne | Lake Barcroft | Langley | Lewinsville | Lincolnia | Lorton | Mantua | Mason Neck | McLean | Merrifield | Mount Vernon | Newington | North Springfield | Oakton | Pimmit Hills | Reston | Rose Hill | Seven Corners | Springfield | Tysons Corner | West Springfield | Wolf Trap
‡ Aceste localități au porțiuni în comitatele înconjurătoare